Skip the lines and the hassle of corralling a large group into a 40-seat restaurant by hosting brunch at your house with this easy and fun breakfast taco party.
Courtesy of Karon Liu.
DIRECTIONS FOR: BREAKFAST TACOS
PREP TIME:10 Min TOTAL TIME: 20 Min SERVES: 8
2 sturdy wooden cutting boards (or large, heavy hardcover books)
corn flour (Maseca is a popular brand)
green or white onions
avocados, sliced, or guacamole
spicy mayonnaise (Sriracha mixed with mayo)
chorizo or breakfast sausage cut up into bits
1. Follow the instructions on the package of corn flour to make the masa dough. Typically it’s 1 cup of corn flour, 3/4 cup of water, and 1/8 tsp of salt to yield 8 tortillas. Double up the portions to make more.
2. Use a tablespoon-sized measuring spoon to make evenly sized individual balls of dough.
3. Put one of the cutting boards on the floor and place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the board.
4. Place a dough ball in the middle of the cutting board, followed by another piece of plastic wrap on top. Carefully place the other cutting board (or sturdy book) on top of the dough ball. Holding on to a countertop (or trusty friend) for balance, make a two-foot hop directly on top of the cutting board, flattening the dough ball. Shift your weight back and forth, side to side to ensure that the dough is flattened.
5. Remove the cutting board and gently peel away the plastic wrap, revealing a perfectly round corn tortilla. Place the tortilla on a hot, un-greased frying pan for about 30 seconds each side.
6. Stack the cooked tortillas on top of each other on a place. Place a slightly moist sheet of paper towel on top to prevent the stack from drying out.
1. There are no rules as to what you can put in a brunch taco, but here are some suggestions. Fill individual bowls with these toppings and let your guests make their own.